12.31.2007

Lots of pain ... looking for gain

You know that feeling you get when you go the gym and work out for the first time in a few months?

Yeah, I'll be feeling that way later today.

For those who knew me back in the day (an expression that really does want to make me sick into a bucket) when I was approaching four spins, I have indeed changed a lot physically thanks to the wonders of modern medicine, but one thing hasn't changed: I can gain weight when the wind blows.

I'm nowhere near the size I used to be, but I also need to ensure I don't get back to that. So it's back to the gym after a long layoff due to laziness and the holidays.

Pass the Motrin.

I didn't go see the Blackhawks on Sunday night. In fact, I spent most of the weekend catching up on much needed sleep. Thing is, I could use a 48-to-72 hour coma to get truly back to normal.

That being said ...

THREE STARS OF THE NIGHT, DEC. 30

1. Dustin Brown, Los Angeles Kings: Brown's second goal of the game with 1:29 to play in overtime lifted the Kings to a 3-2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks. Los Angeles has won back-to-back matchups after an eight-game losing streak, but haven't scored more than three goals in 10 consecutive contests.

2. Brendan Shanahan, New York Rangers: Another overtime winner. Shanahan scored 66 seconds into the extra session getting the Rangers past the Montreal Canadiens, 4-3. Shanahan has scored in consecutive games for the first time this season and needs nine goals to become the 11th player in NHL history with 650.

3. Antero Niittymaki, Philadelphia Flyers: The Finn made a season-high 38 saves Sunday in a 1-0 win over the Florida Panthers for his third career shutout. Relegated to backing up Martin Biron, Niittymaki blanked an opponent for the first time since a 1-0 victory over the Boston Bruins on Jan. 2, 2006.

No comments: