7.14.2008

Islanders' Nolan out as coach

Citing philosophical differences, the New York Islanders on Monday announced that coach Ted Nolan would not return for the 2008-09 season.

Nolan had one season remaining on his contract.

"Ted has helped us achieve some success over the last two seasons, however it has become clear that we have philosophical differences and have decided together to part ways," said Islanders general manager Garth Snow. "Since last season and continuing into the summer, I have realized we do not share the same philosophies. I would like to thank Ted for his two years with the team and wish him the best.

"I have a list of several qualified candidates. After a thorough process, we will hire the very best coach to lead the Islanders on the ice."

Added Nolan: "While I am disappointed I will not be coaching the Islanders next season, there have been philosophical differences and we’ve agreed it’s a good time for me to move on. I want to thank the Islanders organization for giving me a chance to coach in the NHL again.

"I have tremendous respect for what the team is trying to do and I wish them well."

Nolan, who coached the Buffalo Sabres from 1995-97, went 75-68-21 in two seasons on Long Island.

No comments: