8.05.2005

It's always the ones you least suspect

Rafael Palmeiro? Steroids?

Nahhhhhh.....

Of course that was the same thing many said when Marv Albert was accused of chowing down on a former lover.

No, Palmeiro didn't go Hannibal Lechter on someone. But he did test positive for stanozolol -- same thing that brought Ben Johnson down.

With more than 560 home runs and 3,000 hits, Palmeiro was a mortal lock for the Hall of Fame. This positive test kills that off.

He did do one thing Thursday -- a day when the Orioles canned manager Lee Mazzilli. Palmeiro requested the celebration for his 3,000th hit be canceled.

Classy gesture -- I wouldn't want to feel much like celebrating either.

What do you think? I'd like to know.

2 comments:

kateykakes said...

I can't say I have any sympathy for him. He knew what the consequence would be if he got caught - just the same as Pete Rose did when he bet on baseball.

You play; you pay.

Why is it that you always hear so many negative things about baseball, football and basketball players, but rarely any regarding those in the sport of hockey (and yes, I know they not free from fault).

Anonymous said...

:::waving her finger at the congressional committee:::

I can't believe that you wouldn't believe such a fine and upstanding athlete as Mr. Palmerio.

But I will neither confirm nor deny that I, the MLB, the CIA, or the KGB had any, previous or future, knowledge of any use of illegal substances, that may or may not enhance performance.

Is that effective ineffective?